Susan Barry …
Susan’s love for art and sharing that love started as a very young child when she would round up the neighborhood kids for arts and crafts.
Today, the art classes in watercolor painting, drawing, cartooning and paper mache she teaches through the extension and community college courses and her workshops at Snow Goose Studio are just as well received and attended.
Her love of Mother Nature takes her on many road trips on which to broaden her artistic horizons. One of her favorite places is Yosemite which has been the subject of several of her watercolor paintings. She also enjoys the coast, but will usually see a watercolor painting in almost anything Mother Nature has to offer including in her own backyard.
Born in California, Susan is now a resident of Nevada City for the past forty years. Susan majored in art and physical education while attending college in San Diego, California. Over the years, she has owned and operated a party and event planning store, a mountaineer equipment business, a graphic design/ advertising agency and is currently teaching throughout the state of California. Listed below are the many teaching and instructional programs Susan has either created or assisted in developing.
- Monet’s Garden Academy of Creative Art – designed school brochures, taught classes to varied ages in watercolor, cartooning, paper mache, pen & ink and artistic beginnings for young children. Two years.
- Sierra College 4 Kids Summer enrichment program – two years. Designed and taught on Nev. Co. Campus 2000 & 2001
- Seven Hills STARS Program- taught basic drawing, cartooning, pen & ink, three dimensional sculpture from found objects, color design, watercolor and pastels.
- Something Extra Special Summer Art Enrichment Program – varied arts and crafts classes, drama, and music. Started as a guest instructor and ended as the Program director and coordinator. Five years.
- Nevada City and Grass Valley Charter Schools – teaching varied classes in art and crafts. Began as a substitute to full time instruction. Four years.
- Sierra College Adult night School and Extension Programs – taught papermache mask making and basic watercolor to adults. Cartooning and mache to children’s summer program. Four years.
- Studio 311 – Curetted art gallery for local artist Lex Munson and taught summer art programs to children ages 7 to 13 years of age. One year.
- Children’s Festival – annual one day event – created several art projects for five years.
- St. Josephs – taught beginning watercolor to adults. One year.
- University of California Berkeley Extension Program – Assisted for two years in teaching basic backpacking, mountaineering and snow camping classes for adults.
- Academy of Creative Arts – at the Center for the Arts, Grass Valley – 2000-2008. Developed and taught a summer art enrichment program for children 8-12 years.
- Art Adventures – assisted watercolor artist, Lex Munson in planning, implementing and teaching outdoor on location watercolor workshops. Ten years.
- Center for the Arts Gallery Curator – Curator 2000 – 2008 – Producing 22 art show a year and developing fine arts programs for the Center.
- Le Conte Lodge, Yosemite Valley – Guest speaker and instructor, Spring/summer “Painting in Yosemite” from 2002 – 2006
- Private Classes – over the past ten 30 years instructed my own local classes in watercolor, papermache, watercolor crayon & pencil and cartooning for adults at my studio in Nevada City.
- John Muir Education Committee – of the Sierra Club served on the Board as resident artist. Helped revamp the curriculum & design new nature /art programs.
- Pioneer Arts, Inc. – President 2002 & 2003; Publicity Chairman, Chairman of 20th Annual Northern Mines Open Art Exhibition. Now a lifetime member. 2016 current President.
- Barry & Blakley Assoc. Inc. – creator & co -owner of this advertising agency 1997 – 2008, Specializing in representing artists and authors.
- Sierra Club and Elderhostel – Outdoor Art instruction a Donner Summit 2007-2009
- Snow Goose Studio – Currently conducts workshops and classes in Watercolor Landscapes
- Clair Tappaan Lodge – established Plein Air Painters Retreat (4 years) annual four day event.
- Dawns Hallmark art store, Auburn CA – Watercolor classes weekly for the past 5 years.